2011-11-20

Not so Retro Music

As much as I love old/vintage/retro things, I'm just not someone to music from past decades.  It just isn't my thing.  So how does someone who love vintage stuff satisfy their vintage craving musically?  Well there are a few modern artists who fit the bill...

Caro Emerald - She has a beautiful smooth, sultry voice. Her songs are upbeat with what I consider a little Calypso feel.  Songs like "The Lipstick on His Collar" would fit right in a old Sean Connery/James Bond movie. The video for "That Man" is too cute, puts me in mind of the opening of Monsters Inc.  This is my favorite though, "On a Night Like This" -



Of course you also have the Rockabilly/Psychobilly groups. I am partial to The Creepshow's "In the Garden" and Hillbilly Moon Explosion's "My Love For Evermore".  I think the guy singing on "My Love For Evermore" sounds like what Michael Madsen would sound like if he sang and the video fits with a Tarintino feel.  

My very favorite artist of the moment is Imelda May.  I love "Mayhem", "Psycho","Johnny's Got A Boom" Boom, which was on the soundtrack for Wild Target.  Currently I am stuck on her song "Road Runner".  The video is too cute!


Is it wrong that I used leftover pink hairspray from Halloween and sprayed an Imelda May style stripe in the front of my 6 year old's hair?  And put it in an Imelda May loopy swoop?  And sent her out in public like that?

No comments: