2011-11-08

"I'm An Adventure"

I love, love, love foreign films and watch them when I can.  I adore the French OSS 117 movies for the humor, for Jean Dujardin, and for gorgeous retro style eye-candy that they are. 

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies(2006) preview:


Cairo, Nest of Spies is set in 1955 and is filmed in rich hues where the blues are almost velvety.  A very funny movie which introduces you to a very old fashion, bigoted, but lovable Secret Agent 117, Hubert Bonisseur de La Bath.



 OSS 117: Lost in Rio (2009)  preview:



In Lost in Rio we meet back up with OSS 117, but this time in 1967 where his backwards views on the world are no longer the norm and he is stumbling in a changing time when women are proving themselves as valuable as men.

In my opinion this movie is even funnier than the first.  It  is filmed in gorgeous technicolor style with a yellow tones and cool split screen scenes.



I have to admit I'm totally smitten with OSS 117- his swarthy French accent and cheesy smile which reminds me of George Hamilton.  Swoon!

As a photography nut, I was excited to see Secret Agent 117 pretending to be a tourist with a sweet rangefinder camera.  As much as I paused and zoomed I couldn't figure out what make it was.  Luckily I stumbled upon this picture online and can now see he was using an Olympus Pen.


I don't have any of those in my camera collection, but I do have a few Yashica rangefinders.  There is also a new Fuji Finepix X100 Digital Rangefinder Style camera now out that I'd love to own, but I digress.  

The movies are funny and very entertaining and I highly recommend them!


Netflix Streaming: OSS 117: Lost in Rio
Netflix Streaming: OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies

No comments: