2011-11-17

Move to the Head of the Class

I love browsing thrift stores.  As you've read, I collect - and even use vintage cameras and lenses, but I really love vintage and antique items.  I've had an antique doll collection since I was a kid and I also collect Little Golden Books and Tell-a-Tell books.    What really draws me to a lot of vintage items are the colors and styles of illustration that are specific to that time.   Something as simple as an old box with a  really neat font makes me smile.
Move to the Head of the Class

Recently I was thrifting and found this old board game, "Move to the Head of the Class" and and fell in love with it.  I love the heavy bold lines, the super cute fonts, and the rich colors.

 Move to the Head of the Class

I loved the funny out of date trivia and the avatar names like Butch, Bonnie and Susie.
 Move to the Head of the Class
 Move to the Head of the Class
 I was very excited with my find and then a week later I am reading Freckled Wonder and see she found the same game in her thrifting excursion!!  That, along with a ton of other very cool stuff and then I kinda felt like "I went thrifting and all I got was this lousy game" compared to her trunk of goodies
Move to the Head of the Class
The kids and I tried to play the game.  Try is the operative word.  Seems people back then were way smarter than we are now, because the questions were HARD!   So,  when it was the kids turn I tried the easy category.  It wasn't much better.
 Move to the Head of the Class
 
The questions were easy....if you were a child in the 1970's.   What was the name of the Lone Ranger's horse?  What was the name of Roy Rogers horse?  What were the names of President Johnson's dogs? 
 Move to the Head of the Class

So, after we realized our tolkens weren't going anywhere near the head of the class anytime soon, we decided to call it a day and licked our wounds.  Perhaps when we are all a little older and wiser we'll crack the game open again.  Even if we can't make it past seat 10 (of 100), we can still smile at the super nostalgic charm this little game has. 
Move to the Head of the Class



No comments: