2011-12-10

Vintage Recipe: Million Dollar Fudge

Today, first lady Michelle Obama promotes active lifestyles and healthy eating choices, but before Mrs. Obama there was a Mamie Eisenhower -and Mamie Eisenhower brought the American public the most decadent fudge recipe ever: Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge.
This is a marshmallow cream based fudge. There is also a recipe on the back of marshmallow cream called Fantasy Fudge, but it calls for 3/4 cup of butter, where Million Dollar Fudge uses two tablespoons, so I suppose I am paying a bit of attention to the healthiness of my Christmas candy. Mrs. Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge was found in publications across America through the 1950's during which her husband was in office. Mamie's recipe can be found online in the Eisenhower Archives (link).

The instructions are simple, although it is not fail proof.  I can fail any recipe - we'll discuss my 15 year love hate relationship with no-bake oatmeal cookies another time.

Mamie’s Million Dollar Fudge
4 1/2 cups sugar
pinch of salt 
2 tablespoons butter 
1 tall can evaporated milk 
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bits 
12 ounces German-sweet chocolate  (I used milk chocolate chips)
1 pint marshmallow cream 
2 cups nutmeats  (I used walnuts)

Boil the sugar, salt, butter, evaporated milk together for six minutes.
Put chocolate bits and German chocolate, marshmallow cream and nutmeats in a bowl. Pour the boiling syrup over the ingredients. Beat until chocolate is all melted, then pour in pan. Let stand a few hours before cutting.
Remember it is better the second day. Store in tin box.
 Now, I already said I have trouble with this recipe and things boiled over and all kinds of stuff, so it wasn't pretty and I have no photos from that phase of cooking.

Starting after you've let the sugar, butter, and evaporated milk boil for 6 minutes pour it into a bowl.
Add chocolate chips

Stir
 Add marshmallow cream.
 Stir.
 Line your dish with plastic wrap or wax paper so it will be easy to lift the fudge out after it sets up.
 We had a little....well, my daughter raked her fingers across the top of the fudge, which we were baking for her teachers, thinking I wouldn't notice it, so I don't have photos of the pretty finished product. Grrr. Instead here is a shot showing the poinsetta's on my vintage table cloth.  I can't remember if this is the one I bought or on that the kids inherited from their Grandmother.
 And some details of the cute Christmas place-mat I found thrifting this year.

If you have never had this recipe, you must give it a try.  This fudge does not disappoint!!  Eight year old's sneaking the fudge might disappoint, but never the fudge.




No comments: