2010-06-04

What's in a Camera?

Would the ultimate digital camera have the most mega pixels possible? Some would think so. The computer market pushes higher pixel cameras at us every year. Yes, pixels are when you want to enlarge a photo or if you want to crop to size, but you can have all the pixels in the world and if the camera doesn't take good photos, the pixels don't matter. The camera's sensor, the lens quality, and the camera's ability to correctly expose the image all combine to determine if the camera is a 'good' one or not. If you want to read about the mathematics of pixels and image size this is a very good site explaining them:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

As I said a good point and shoot can take excellent photos. These are from my favorite point and shoot I've owned:

2003_0804_101900AA

2003_0804_121434AA

2003_0804_151610AA

These are from a 2003 trip to downtown Indianapolis. What megapixel do you think this camera was? The date might help give it a way. These were taken with a 3.2 megapixel camera (Fuji finepix). Now, I realize these aren't 'amazing' photos, but they were clear, well exposed, with great color and I loved that camera. I loved it right up to the day I was taking photos of my dears at the sprinkle park and a little boy shot it with a water canon. It died in my hands. I thought I can buy another. I bought another Finepix, but the later model. It just wasn't the same. I never could find another point and shoot that could compare. I currently have a 7mp Coolpix as my point and shoot. I don't want to talk about it.

Next time you are camera shopping don't let the mega pixels be the deciding factor when choosing.

A word to the wise, if you ever find a camera that takes photos you are really pleased with. Hang on to it! Protect it and cherish it. You might never find another like it.

No comments: